Sunday, May 29, 2022

On Grasmere Lake, by Mathangi Subramanian

 



"On Grasmere Lake
," by Mathangi Subramanian, in Denver Noir, edited by Cynthia Swanson, Akashic Press, 2022.

The publisher sent me a copy.

Last week I reviewed a story from this book that was pure noir.  This week, something quite different.  It is a story about women helping each other in a crisis. It is quite literary, but don't hold that against it.

What else can I tell you?  This is a good example of a time when saying too much would be, well, saying too much.

Nithi is a young woman who lives with her mother, Priya, and her father, the brutally abusive Jason.  But now Jason is dead and Nithi feels guilt about that, and about other things as well.  

The situation looks very bad but then it takes an unexpected twist.  And that's really all I can say except that I enjoyed this story very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment